Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stuffed Cherry Cookies!

I got the book Cookies by Taste of Home at Sam's Club a couple months ago.  Everyone LOVES cookies and this book has hundreds of recipes.The first one that I just had to try is called Chocolate topped surprise cookies on page 17 of the book.

Chocolate Topped Surprise Cookies....or as I have renamed them....
STUFFED CHERRY COOKIES

Ingredients:
24 marschino cherries
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon shortening (I did not use this, I used butter instead)

Directions:
Pat cherries with paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside.  In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry juice and vanilla.  Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Cover and rerigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
Insert a chocolate chip into each marashino cherry.  Wrap a tablespoon on dough around each cherry.  Place 1 in. apart on baking sheet.  
Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned.  Remove and cool.
In a microwave melt remaining chips and shortening (I used butter) until smooth.  Dip top of cookies in chocolate.

Results:
These were good, however they are a lot or work, so I would only make these for special occasions.  The batter was crumbly, so it was hard to form the balls around the cherries.  I suggest leaving it in the fridge for longer, that may help that.  Also, I only dipped some in chocolate.  Everyone liked the ones not dipped.  The chocolate made the cookie very sweet.
Would I make these again, yes, but maybe for a cookie swap or gift, not just for fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment